Friday, April 16, 2010

Trying to make a fiction - Tenses Problem...

The most confusing problem in making a fiction in english language is about tenses. My high school teacher taught me that making story in english is using past tenses. But, i found that some of fiction in english are also using present tenses. Are those fictions false?? But if I think it logically (at the events on that story i found), It's not false to use present tense sometimes...
But,but I'm still confusing!! >.<
In re-tell type, maybe It can be understand if I always using past tenses, but If not re-tell type...???

I need to learn more....
Benkyoushite mimasu...! ^o^/

Ternyata semua bahasa butuh logika ya....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see... I think if you are telling the story as an outsider, like if you are writing about events that others do, maybe then it is better to use past tense (e.g. He loved this...). But if you are telling the story just like you are the main character, then I think you can use both present and paste tenses (e.g. I like him, I liked him).

Maybe it is best to first go to library and see how other fiction writers do this :)

Good luck!

DB

Reizsha said...

Oo..I see...(so, my tenses are all false...>.<). Because at first I used tenses based on the time when the event happen. Although I telling the story as an outsider, if the event happen now, I used present...

Wah It can't be helped. I already publish 5 chapter (with that false tenses all over the story) hahahahaha XDD
Maybe for next chapter I'll correct it.

Thanks for the suggestion ^o^

Anonymous said...

Don't mind me :) I am not English major. I just wrote what I think, but it is better to ask someone who is good about this :)
DB